Sunday 10 February 2013

Chitting Spuds for 2013

So, here's the essential blog photo :-)
All our seed potatoes chitting at my mum's house - in the nice, cold, light spare room.
Here's the psychedelic picture to identify the different varieties...
This is what they really look like:
And these are all our kestrels - probably more than we want, but there's always the spares table at the allotment site. We bought these from the Wyvale Garden Centre where they were stored in a much warmer room, hence the chits already forming.
 
 The earlies definitely benefit from chitting, as we want lots of little spuds to form but maincrops don't really need to chit in advance of being planted. However, it would be too early to put them in the ground now - apart from the fact that it's soaking wet!

5 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud when I saw this entry. I`ve just asked Aunty Doreen in a letter how you know which are which.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! We asked her to not move the egg boxes - you can see why!!

      Delete
  2. I left a message before but it didn't appear. Just to say I like the psychedelic ones best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I fear they may be disappointing in real life!

      Delete
  3. Ours will be set out to chit shortly

    ReplyDelete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda