Friday 28 December 2018

Christmas

I've really enjoyed this Christmas, even though the weather hasn't provided any snow, or particularly cold days, the whole month has felt very Festive. Our living room is evidence that Jamie and I enjoy a bit of sparkle :-)
Brussels sprouts and carrots are the only veg we've had fresh from the allotment during the holiday and, I have to admit, that we bought some sprouts rather than going back to the plot.
We've discovered how delicious sprouts are roasted (with olive oil, salt and pepper). They need to be properly browned and are much more flavoursome than steamed.
They even taste good cold, squished onto a cheese cracker! So I intend to make some sprout pate, with the addition of seaweed flakes that my sister gave us for Christmas - I fancy the Dulse, smokey-flavoured one. Perhaps I'll make some carrot pate too...
We had our Christmas roast (Quorn) with all the trimmings at about 11:00pm on Christmas Eve and subsequent meals have mostly been snacky/tapas. The Granovita vegetable pate is so delicious - you should try it! I never ate meat pate so don't know how it compares.
We received lovely presents from family and friends including beautiful decorations, books and lots of food and drink to keep us going well into the new year.
I spent some time with my newest Great-Nephew, Isaac, at his Great-Grandma's (my mum) on Christmas Eve - he's such a cutie. Since then we've only set foot outside a couple of times and still no visit to the plot. We've been having too much fun watching films, playing games and doing quizzes in between eating and drinking - so much eating and drinking!
Next stop, new year's eve but first a Christmas song - I thought I'd struggle to find one (hohoho) but decided on this by The Who.

10 comments:

  1. Your mum looks way too young to be a great grandma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's either a compliment to my mum (who is 90) or an insult to me - as it's me in the photo, though I suppose I could be a great-grandma...just 😂 Hahaha

      Delete
    2. Oops I didn’t recognise you. I was trying to work out the youngest a great grandma could legally brew and still couldn’t believe my eyes so definitely not an insult :-(🤭

      Delete
    3. Haha, yes, I was doing the maths too :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness a lovely post. Love the picture of you and Isaac.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice collection of gifts! Hope you noticed the old sci fi mags were from your dates of birth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the SciFi books were a fab idea. And love the seaweeds. Hope you had/are having a lovely time

      Delete
  4. A wonderful blog post for this time of year and nice to have a peek into your home and family life. Like you I have barely been out of the house, today I will have ot go as we are low on groceries. I did not have anything from the garden plot on the Christmas plate this year, our sprouts in the garden were mini - so all veg was sadly shop bought. I love your red elegant lady decoration. I hope you enjoy playing with your sea flakes (great in mashed potato https://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2016/11/fishless-fish-free-japanese-sea.html), I have some too from last year, need to check the expiry date.
    Wishing you a Happy New Year and thank you so much for continue to support my little blog by reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Shaheen. The red lady is like a Poinsetta fairy, though she has no wings. I'll take a look at your link, thanks.
      Happy New Year to you too

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda