Saturday, 3 October 2026

Memories

We’ve moved in to October and the cooler, dark nights are upon us though the daytime temperatures have been very pleasant over the last week. We’re still picking a few more tomatoes which I’ve been using with  some basil from my sister to make cheese on toast lunches a bit more interesting.
A cheesey snack
I took the last of the onions and shallots home which have been stored on the allotment since they were harvested in July.
Last weekend Jamie planted our new shallots for next year in the raised bed - it’s been topped-up with more Apsley mulch mixed in with onion fertiliser, the shallots seemed to like it last year. We’ve chosen this long variety this year, Griselle and there are 12 bulbs.
We finally had a single-serving harvest of dwarf beans that we sowed direct in July. We may get a few more but they’ve had a stressful time with droughts and now cold nights. Luckily the green courgette provided me with a bit of side veg for dinner too and I really do think that’s the last one..
I’ve dug, fertilised and mulched the area where we intend to over-Winter the broad beans. We’ll sow them in a few weeks. I’ve also bought garlic and onion sets but I need to do a bit more prep before they can be planted. The Apsleys will need digging in and mixing in the soil for those bulbs whereas the beans should be okay sown directly through the mulch. The leeks are looking rather dry but we have had some rain. One particularly short sharp shower while we were on the plot.
The little pond looks a bit more natural now it has its stoney surround and a bit of gravel in the bottom.
We’ve had a couple of lovely woodland walks, looking for acorns - they are extremely scarce this year, whereas squirrels are abundant 🤔 Savernake Forest is an ancient woodland with some oaks over 1000 years old - amazing isn’t it and very beautiful with the sun dappling through the canopy.
Savernake Forest
The leaves haven’t really started to turn yet but the ground was covered in the super-spikey chestnut cases.
At Greenham Common, Newbury, we walked round the old airbase area. I remember the first time I saw all the barbed wire and armed guards when the US missiles were sited there - it was shocking after we’d been used to going there for the Air Shows when we were younger and Jamie remembers going as a Sea Cadet to hand out pamphlets ☺️
Greenham Common
We parked where the Women’s Peace Camp was in the 1980s, there are information boards about the campaign now, but at the time many Newbury people didn’t look on the peace campers too kindly. I remember going with friends to ‘Embrace the base’ round the USAF base for CND one weekend. It was amazing to see so many thousands of people there. 
It’s returned to its natural state now with no camps, barbed wire fencing, armed guards or missiles - just the missile silos remain - and we wouldn’t fancy eating anything foraged from there.
Greenham Common
Well, after that little bit of reminiscing I really should get moving. We’ve got our flu/covid jabs later so I need to start on that allium bed prep this morning. Just time for one more photo - meet Albie, my sister’s gorgeous new puppy 🥰
Albie
Now, please enjoy this song by Maroon 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda