Wednesday 1 November 2023

Scary Monsters

It’s that time of year again Halloweeeeen, ooh spooky 👻 
Our mini pumpkin was included in the meal, decorated our dinner table and Jamie even managed to carve one, but it was a bit fiddly.
The scary monster is a yellow dung fly - we’ve had another manure delivery to site. Hooray! We had a 10 tonne delivery and nearly half had been carted off to plots by the end of the weekend - we had a few barrow loads.
Behind the manure are our broad beans Aquadulce Claudia which we sowed at the weekend. As usual, they’re protected by plastic bottle cloches and netting. The netting doesn’t protect from everything though 🙄
Our little visitor is back to his friendly self and he joined us in the polytunnel during a sharp shower.
The showers were torrential at the weekend but it was reasonably warm and very pleasant when the Sun came out. We noticed that that the wasps were making the most of Ivan’s grapes, which have sadly gone to waste this year.
They were definitely drunk on them. All binging together - we’ve all been there 😀
It seems that we’re well into Autumn now - November today, unbelievable! The leaves finally changed colour. This is a Creeping cinquefoil leaf, so pretty throughout the year, but it does take over.
Even my little hazel tree looked autumnal.
The pot has some excellent moss forming the ‘forest floor’ for the little tree.
But Storm Ciaran is clearing the remaining leaves off the trees today. I have a day off work, so we’ll go up the plot and batten down the hatches later. First I’m having a toasted cheese and beetroot sandwich for lunch. I’ve always liked cheese and beetroot together, but toasted is even better - totally delicious! Talking of delicious, I made this pumpkin and bean curry the other night - mmm, coconut tastiness but unfortunately I didn’t cook the beans for long enough; even though they’d been soaked overnight they would have needed cooking for 30mins I think, not the 15mins I gave them - they were rather hard still.
I had a bit of good news recently - I wrote a poem (I know! Me!?) and WON a £50 voucher from Nomads Clothing. I love their clothes so I was very pleased 😊 Here’s the poem and the coat it’s written about.
The song is provided by David Bowie.


2 comments:

  1. The picture of the ginger cat made me smile.
    I'm surprised that wasps are still around this late in the year.
    Well done with the poem. Have a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I know, that cheeky cat! We call him Marmalade 😊

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda