Monday 6 November 2023

The Only One I Know

Looks like an aerial photo of a desert landscape doesn’t it? Oh, just me?
It’s been quite the opposite, so much rainfall over the last week. Our 50mm raingauge had over-flowed, but I appreciate that we’ve been lucky compared to some parts of the country which are still flooded as the ground is so saturated.

We had some lovely blue sky yesterday (Sunday). Some tiny showers threatened more rain, but the wind blew the clouds away and we had a pleasant couple of hours clearing the sweetcorn patch. If the weather stays mild the weeds will love that patch of bare soil! You can see how much the grass is growing and the Calendula are still providing spots of colour.
Most of the other flowers are just seedheads now, although the verbena bonariensis still have a purple tinge and the Nicotiana has a few flowers protected under the glass table.
This seems rather unexpected in November - we’re still eating our tomatoes! They eventually turned red after being at home for a few weeks and are so tasty providing bruschetta lunches. There's home-grown basil on there but the Spring Onions are shop-bought - we simply can't grow them without slugs demolishing them. I sowed 2 long rows this year, but not one was fit to eat 😞 Any ideas?
Anyway, as you can tell, there’s not really much going on. Which is why I was staring at a plank for much of the time. 
But what a plank! The moss is certainly enjoying the decaying wood. There are at least 4 different species that I can see on there.

So, here are a few moss facts: moss is a type of bryophyte (along with liverworts and hornworts) and there are over 1000 species in Britain and Ireland! The British Bryological Society (formerly known as The Moss Exchange Club) is celebrating its 100th Anniversary this year. 

Mosses can be found almost anywhere in the World, from deserts to the arctic but Britain's warm-ish, wet (getting wetter) climate is perfect for lots of species. This is the only one that I think I can recognise and name at the moment - Grymmia Pulvinata. The little things that look like flower buds, setae, turning back into the pincushion are the defining feature. Cute.
So that provided the song title - sung by The Charlatans. Sing along - marvellous.

4 comments:

  1. I really like moss. It grows on yhe shady side of a small wall around our pond and I love stroking it - weird or what? Can't help with the spring onions as we too find them challenging. If it's only slugs that are the problem you could try growing in a tub. Set the tub in a tray of water but supported so it doesn't sit in the water, The idea is to produce a small moat around the tub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it does sound a bit weird Sue 🤭 Saying that, I will stroke that plank at the weekend 😀
      I will try to remember the moat idea next year - surely that would work…

      Delete
  2. I thought that I'd commented on this post.
    A good read and lovely pictures, I especially like the pot marigold.
    Fascinating mosses, about which I know very little. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly are a marigold fan! They are a welcome spot of brightness in dull times!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda