Thursday 27 July 2023

The Importance of Being Idle

I was pleased when it was sunnier than expected yesterday morning and we had a lovely few hours on the plot. The clouds started developing while we were digging the area for the leeks. That’s where the broad beans were.
The leeks were sown en masse at the end of that patch - the whole packet. That method has worked for Neal in the past, so we followed his example and the little leeks look pretty good and ready to be planted on. There should be plenty left over for sharing once we’ve planted ours - I don’t think we’ve ever planted them so early.
Apart from that bit of digging I’ve had a relaxing few days pottering around on the plots. We’ve been watching juvenile robins and bullfinches in the hedge, it’s been lovely. The bullfinch father seems to be pointing out the various locations for food by whistling for his young ones to follow.
We pulled a Nicola potato from one of the bags; probably enough for three or four meals. We had all the tiny ones as part of a salad containing 7 other home-grown veggies.
And this is the ice cream dessert with the gooseberry and blackcurrant sauces from Ivan’s fruit. What a treat!
I should have, but didn’t, do the Big Butterfly Count; there’s still another week or so. This brimstone butterfly (I suppose it may not be the same one) has been hanging round Kate’s runner beans for two days now. Our beans are nowhere near this stage! Lots of people are already picking beans and we don’t even have flowers ๐Ÿ˜–
Big yellow butterfly
We do have beans on our Yin Yang dwarf beans though. I was considering eating the pods but it seems that they are best grown as shelled beans even if not dried, so they have quite a bit more growing to do. These are the fab looking black and white Orca beans that were grown from our last year’s collected seed - also known as Calypso beans. 
I mentioned in my last post that the asparagus peas are doing well this year. I let some pods grow a bit bigger and they were very tasty - I boiled them for about 10minutes then cooled them before adding to this Beetroot and Quorn roast salad lunch.
Courgettes are still part of every evening meal and were good with this fried gnocchi in a tomato and garlic sauce. Mmm, I do so enjoy this time of year and I even don’t mind doing a bit more of the cooking.
I did a bit of clearing by the pond - we really need to tackle the bindweed. This scabious is enjoying a bit more light now I’ve cleared some of the Nigella seedheads.
And, having cleared some weed from the pond, a froggy appeared! 
I am enjoying my time off work and I’m pretty sure my cold is thinking about moving on which is why I’m taking it easy ๐Ÿ™‚ Great song and video by Oasis - enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds, and looks, like you had a good few days plot pottering. I haven't picked any beans yet but there may be some hidden under the leaves. Good luck clearing the bindweed.
    I hope that your cold clears soon. Take care, and happy plotting. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the bindweed that needs to be tackled hasn’t appeared in a photo yet. It’s a total nightmare! Hope you find a few beans!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda