Monday 24 July 2023

Blowin in the Wind

This beauty was on our butterfly bush at home along with two others, a white and a couple of peacocks! I’ll be lucky to see that many when I do my Big Butterfly Count on the allotment later this week.

It’s late July but the weather really isn’t playing fair! It’s been extremely windy and wet, so it’s not great for gardening but it’s good growing weather. 

I’m pleased to report that the only victims of the wind were a nasturtium and part of a bean plant - amazed (and relieved) that our sunflowers were still standing. Luckily most of the Yin-Yang dwarf beans are protected and I’ve secured them with string now that the beans are developing.

The courgettes are coming thick and fast now. They’re featuring in most meals - mainly just sliced and fried in chilli oil. They’re delicious eaten hot or cold. I may get the spiraliser out for our gnocchi meal this evening.
We had left a couple to get a bit bigger (honestly, it was a plan!) for stuffed courgettes with grated carrot, nuts, garlic and mature cheddar cheese yesterday - so delicious. 
The chantenay carrots have grown well. The mangetout and asparagus peas accompany nearly every meal even sandwiches for most of this month! They’ve been prolific this year. The asparagus pea are a pretty plant. The Cornell’s squash (I thought it was a bush variety) is going to swamp them soon though.
Winged peas
I’ve started harvesting the Florence fennel. I’ve kept it under netting in an attempt to stop it going to seed but some of the bulbs are beginning to elongate rather than bulb more.
They’re so tasty and the smell -mmm, delicious! I made this meal from a trugful of goodies the other night.
Frying the courgette chopped tiny like that was a nice addition and the courgette was almost hidden in the passata sauce 🤭
Not satisfied with just our own veg, we’ve also enjoyed some of plot neighbour, Neal’s. The turnips are a lovely peppery addition fried, roasted or raw. I may sow a row myself.
And Ivan’s fruit bushes have given me a little job to do this morning, until the rain stops.
The song title is brought to us by Peter, Paul and Mary - a blast from the past.

6 comments:

  1. The worst wind damage was that our plot neighbours greenhose frame blew onto our plot and bashed the sweet peas. I texted him but over a week has passed and he hasn't been near! Martyn dragged the frame ontp his plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, that’s frustrating. Yes, flying structures are always a threat on allotments 😖

      Delete
  2. Wow, another super read, beautiful photos and a great 'blast from the past'. Loved it. Your plot sounds so very interesting and I enjoy seeing the dishes you create from the produce too. (Linda)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Glad you liked the song 😊

      Delete
  3. I hope that you see plenty of butterflies when you do the count. Glad to see that you suffered minimal wind damage. Good looking carrots. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. Maybe today’s the day for counting 😊

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda