Tuesday 28 September 2021

In the End

 Like other plotholders, I decided to pick the ripest squashes before the rain came.

Squashes in a trug
The two blue Crown Prince aren’t very big and I was disappointed that the plants only produced one fruit each, but there will be enough for at least two meals from each squash, so I shouldn’t complain. The green stripeys are Honey Boat. I picked three and there should be more to harvest probably in a couple of weeks. They’re my second favourite tasting squash. The fancy multi-coloured Festival are my favourite for looks and taste pretty good too, there are a few more of them to come. The two round yellow squash have been confirmed as Spaghetti squash by Kate, our plot neighbour who gave us the plants. We’ve never seen fruits like that before, but they’ll be fine, just for me as Jamie doesn’t like them. 
Spaghetti squash with cheese and Borlotti beans
In fact, I like them so much that I took one from our site’s ‘Freebies shelf’ the other week and had these two lovely meals. I’ve used fresh Borlotti beans in both these dishes. They are so tasty. They're boiled on the hob for 40minutes, which is the same amount of time I cook the spaghetti squash in the oven (open-side down). Then bits and bobs are added before returning to the oven for 15minutes. 
Borlotti beans, tomatoes, shallot, potatoes, garlic
That second meal has the tiniest Nicola potatoes. I couldn’t bear to throw them away and they cooked up nicely in the oven with the tomatoes, garlic and shallots before I added the beans.
Nicola potatoes from a bag
We got a good haul of Nicola potatoes from that bag.
Trugful of spuds
There’s my handful of Borlotti beans, I only used 6 pods for each meal. And look how pretty the fresh beans are, though they are rather dull-looking when cooked.
Fresh Borlotti beans
Most of the beans I’m going to dry and, because of the forecast rain, I picked the semi-dried ones and have put them in the netting attached to the top of the polytunnel. There are still loads more Borlotti to pick and the Gigantes have hardly started drying on the plants yet.
Drying beans
The edamame are the same, they were slow to start but have podded up now and are just beginning to go over.
Edamame beans
As well as plants dying back, there are signs of things to come.
The raised bed has been prepared for the garlic and shallots which should be delivered next week (if such deliveries aren’t affected by the HGV crisis we’re now in the middle of 🙄)
The bed is prepared and holes prepped for popping the broad beans in next month. And at the weekend we potted on some strawberry runners. The strawberry bed is a mess but we'll sort that out sometime...
Overgrown strawberry bed

So the polytunnel is looking like a storage area now for a few things and we're hoping to get a few more ripened peppers before the plants get removed.

The song is provided by Linkin Park - great song!

2 comments:

  1. I was going to pot up some strawberry runners from our old strawberry bed but everything was too messy to sort anything out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our bed is a mess but we want a few more strawberries next year so we need to sort it out…at some point!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda