Tuesday 7 September 2021

So Long

I'm so happy that September has brought the heat and sunshine with it - aah, it's so welcome!

Cosmos
The cosmos flowers are doing weird things, as you can see. They started out with normal petals, but now they have something like an angry frill-necked lizard! Still looking beautiful though.

Nicola potatoes

We emptied one of the potato bags yesterday - the haulms were chopped down a few weeks ago because of the blight. These are Nicola potatoes (2 plants). A quick rummage in the top showed that it could be a good haul.

Nicola Potatoes

Look at that lovely lot! Delicious small potatoes. They're very good as salad potatoes but we've enjoyed them mashed and roasted too. A couple had a bit of blight so they won't keep, but we don't intend to store them for long anyway. Talking of blight, here are the tomatoes that we saved from the blighted crop.

Lizzano tomatoes

Lizzano are such a tasty tomato, such a shame that the growth was cut short. We're pleased that all of these semi-ripe fruits reddened up under our grow-lamp at home. Unlike the peppers which just went rotten! Clearly a fruit will only ripen if it's ready to. I'm having to make do with purchased peppers while ours are being mostly eaten by slugs in the polytunnel 😔

Peppers, tomatoes, garlic

This lovely dish is roasted peppers, garlic and onions with olive oil and a bit of chilly with basil to make it look pretty. It's so delicious with a salad or in sandwiches and lasts for 2-3 days. I'm having it with a potato salad for lunch today, mmm, I'm looking forward to it already and it's only breakfast time 😋

We have started our first sweetcorn now. We plucked two large cobs. One was rather better pollinated than the other but still plenty of tasty kernels covered in butter. These are Early Bird. I don't think they're as tasty as the Lark that we usually grow but they are still good.

Early Bird Sweetcorn

I'm back working from home after a few days off. More of my colleagues are returning to the lab but still in fairly small numbers - so many of us have found working from home to be beneficial to our work and home-life, as well as reducing our carbon footprints. I'm expecting a 3rd COVID jab to be offered in the next few weeks which could improve the immunity for immunosuppressed people. For now we're relying on other people to have the jab and take the test every now and then. Thank goodness for the allotment so I'm not desperate to travel further afield.

Massive tromboncino!

There's me with our longest tromboncino squash and it's still growing! I may have to enter it into our Horticultural Show just because it's so amazing 😏 There were 4 of us standing around talking about it the other day, it certainly draws attention! And that's the reason for this song title by Maya Hawke.

8 comments:

  1. That cosmos is a semi-double 'Cupcake', I prefer the plain ones. That was a good yield from two potato plants, and the sweet corn cobs looks okay.
    Like you I'm not wanting to go further than the plot. Good luck if you do enter that long squash in your local show. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! A cupcake. I thought I had a colour mix, but clearly it was a variety mix too. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. That cosmos is absolutely gorgeous and I'd happily find space to grow them. What do those odd looking squash cook like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the same as courgettes, but there are no seeds in the long stem just in the base. I’ve baked it, roasted and fried it. However, I have eaten much tastier squash. They’re more for entertainment value

      Delete
  3. The hoy spell was short-lived here. I seen to have ended up with frilly cosmos too. Like you we cook our tiny potatoes to have with salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a sunny day today, but I’m working and haven’t got time to visit the allotment this lunchtime. Hopefully the weekend will be good, but I won’t bank on it, yesterday was grey and wet. I’m not ready for Autumn yet

      Delete
  4. Adore the picture with you posing next to your longest tromboncino squash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😊 Thanks. I’ve passed it on to my plot neighbour to amuse her primary school children (she’s a teacher). I’m hoping to get a photo

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda