Sunday 27 September 2020

Whats the Buzz

I was very tempted to be lazy yesterday and remain inside but I'm so glad we ventured out. 
As you can see, my macro camera decided to work really well a few times. I love these photos of various insects (Green Bottle Fly, Ivy Mining Bee and Sun Fly) on the ivy flowers in the hedge, it really was full of life. (I’m going to update my wildlife blog with more info).There were lots of other creatures that the camera didn't capture, including wasps, spiders and various other hoverflies. 
We stayed for longer than expected. There was a chilly wind,  but Plot 3 was nicely protected so we got on with more clearing and enjoyed the Autumn sunshine for several hours. The area is cleared but not dug so, if it doesn’t go cold, it’s going to be covered in weeds again. I’m just going to keep hoeing it.
That's the old polytunnel frame and I intend to use it for a squash tunnel next year (if things work out better than 2020). So holes will be dug and filled with manure in the Spring. I‘ll need to add some more trellis for the squashes to hold on.
Work has been silly-busy and it makes the weeks whizz by. We managed to pop to the plot for a bit of fresh air on a couple of lunchtimes, just to pick the last of this year's meagre harvests. They’ve been very quick visits, but it wasn’t ‘sitting’ weather anyway.
I cut off the only spaghetti squash that grew on our plant - quite a big one. And Kate kindly let us have one of her lovely Festival squash. They can stay in the polytunnel for a bit.
We had a MacSween veggie haggis in the week. We used it as stuffing for a large courgette,  it needed a bit more flavouring for my taste (I prefer the Stahly haggis). But with the excess I made this layered dish, with potatoes and tomatoes, courtesy of my sister, and our courgette on top, topped with cheese. Now that was tasty!
We added fleece protection around our 3 Speedy French beans in the week. They're the only ones we grew so don't want to miss out on eating them. As it turned out,  we didn't get a frost, but the temperature dipped to about 3° on a couple of nights. 
The song title is from the film Jesus Christ Superstar. Man, I do love those hippies 

4 comments:

  1. I’ve wondered whether we should train squash upwards but the fruits do get very large and I wonder whether the vines would break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the vines thicken up as needed for the weight of the fruit. Although I have seen people set up ‘hammocks’ for particularly large fruits - to be on the safe side

      Delete
  2. Nice insects! Your garden looks marvelously productive, and it's lucky that so much will keep for a while or maybe until winter.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. We’re pleased with anything we’ve managed to grow this year but mostly grateful for offerings from fellow plotholders!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda