Sunday 20 September 2020

Purple Haze

 It’s been a hot weekend and we’ve had two busy afternoons on the plot.

We managed to do a lot of clearing and some proper digging - I do like digging, though my body’s aching after more activity than it’s used to these days! The ground is so dry, I don’t know when we last had any rain. Here’s the before...

And here’s the after, and Jamie dealt with the edges. That area has been limed for broad beans to be sown in a few weeks time.

We still have lots to do. The enormous, spiteful bramble got me a few times, but we’re getting it too! Slowly, but surely.

I retrieved and potted up some strawberry runners as the strawberry bed has grown wild this year.

We hoed and dug up some enormous weeds around the Raised bed, where the garlic will be planted as soon as it’s delivered. And I cleared around the pond and planted some iris into the ground; it’s been pot-bound for over a year so I hope it will appreciate the freedom.
We actually saw a big dragonfly today, but it didn’t fancy visiting our pond which is in need of some more water. The frog doesn’t mind though and we may get some rain this week. At least we have the polytunnel for shelter when the rain does finally arrive. And we’ve got the fleece tunnel ready to protect a couple of the Speedy french beans which are just about to produce some beans for us and may coincide with our first frost - doh!
The courgette plants are still providing for us and Neal gave me some beetroot today (thanks Neal) Also my sister is supplying tomatoes still (thanks Joanne) so I made these nice spicy tomato noodles for lunch this weekend. And we’ve got a big bag of potatoes to use. We had a dish made with mash, cheese, ‘This is not bacon’ (which, to me, tastes like kippers) and peas - mmmmmm, so delicious! (But I forgot a photo, shame because it looked nice too).
Please forgive another globe artichoke photo, but that colour! And the bees are loving it and really did appear to be in a purple haze at times! One of those bees was in there most of the afternoon.
Did you see what I did there? Thanks to Jimi Hendrix (obviously) for the title. (And the crowd at the end of this video is great 😀)


4 comments:

  1. I’ e den meaning to take some strawberry runners and thought I was too late - maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be too late, but I figured it was worth the risk. I’ve put them in a reasonably sheltered spot

      Delete
  2. Good work on the plot, it will be all worth it in readiness for the next phase. I am so pleased to read that your courgettes are still feeding you well, our have been disappointing this year. The purple haze is lovely. We have artichokes that are beginning to flower too, so hopefully the bees will love them - they are still hanging about on the sunflowers and nasturtiums

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bees will be very pleased that you’re not going to eat the artichoke, I’m sure!
      We really must try growing nasturtium again. Last time we tried they were eaten down to the ground within a day by caterpillars!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda