Monday 6 July 2020

Something to Talk About

We had a visit to the plot at lunchtime today - to see if the windy weekend had done any damage. There isn't much to be damaged and it appeared to be ok. I spotted this excellent Mullein moth caterpillar - one of my favourites, they're just so photogenic!
I didn't do a blogpost at the weekend, last week was very dull. Even I couldn't think of something that was worth writing down, with just one meal that looked quite pretty - a lovely broad bean and roasted pepper salad.
Well, I have been concentrating on my embroidery. I won't do updates every week, but I thought I'd drop this photo in as I'm rather proud of my sweetcorn - they took me about 20minutes to sow each cob <it's so tricky> I don't think I'll embroider too many of them!
I'm finding myself noticing textures more and when I saw the flowers on our leeks (which have well and truly, and rather beautifully, gone to seed) I found that I was thinking 'I could sew those, with french knots and a bit of back-stitch' - Oh I've changed!
I was very pleased to see flowers on our runner beans and they're climbing now.
Not climbing quite so well are the Gigantes that Jamie sowed for me, but I think they'll latch on quite soon - if the windy weather stops blowing them away from the canes. I think only 3 of the plants will survive, but hopefully that'll produce enough beans for a few tasty meals.
A couple of the squash plants look happy, but the other two are being eaten by slugs so we'll see whether they survive... Ivan gave us a punnet of whitecurrants today - not as pretty as the red ones but they seem to taste a little sweeter - they're rather insect egg-like aren't they (and I'm pretty sure I could embroider that punnet) 😏.
Here's a picture of the frog - I'm sure there are two in our pond, this is the bigger one. That duckweed is a pain to get rid of but he doesn't mind, as it offers protection from the heat.
So, I've managed a blogpost and the title song is provided by Badly Drawn Boy.



8 comments:

  1. They do look like a snail/slug eggs. Will I ever be able to eat them again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caterpillars are rather fascinating, i must admit though ive never seen Mullein moth caterpillar before, stunning. Thanks for sharing. Those white currants are stunning - I cannot believe you compared them to insect egg I want to insert a eugh emoji here but can't :( I see them as iridescent pearls.Thanks for sharing progress on your veg embroidery too, the sweetcorn is lovely. Look forward to seeing the finished piece in due course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the mullein moth caterpillar before on the allotment but it's always a delightful surprise when I spot one.
      Yes, sorry about the whitecurrants comparison, but they're really not as pretty as the redcurrants and the sauce lacked any photogenic properties too - though they tasted good :-)

      Delete
  3. Everybody's talkin about.... Ivan's whitecurrants and your sweetcorn!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFKDyVPkonc

    ReplyDelete
  4. The white currants are really awesome. I have never try it, how about the taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taste is quite sharp but not lovely with enough sugar or poured onto sweet vanilla icecream!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda