Sunday 29 September 2019

September

I see that my last post mentioned the arrival of some "welcome rain". We've had rather more than that over the last week, with some torrential downpours. I decided to do a bit of clearing indoors, but didn't get farther than looking up some recipes - for someone who rarely cooks I have quite a lot of recipe books!
We've been eating the Kestrel potatoes over the last week - very good for mash and also spicy potato wedges (which I'm preparing to have cold as I write this - olive oil, paprika, turmeric, chilli powder, chives, salt & pepper all mixed up in a bag before emptying onto the roasting tray) and tonight we're having them baked.
I made some more of the smokey marinade for the Gigantes beans which lasted a couple of weekday lunches - so tasty.
The weather has been sunshine and showers all week so we've been treated to some beautiful rainbows (this was from my window at work - the photo doesn't do it justice).
Today we got another soaking on the plot. This is the view from the polytunnel where we had to shelter - it's not obvious from the photo exactly how heavy the rain was. And it seems that next week is also going to be wet with some stronger winds thrown into the mix - hope those polytunnels and sweetcorn are still standing by next weekend! And I hope it's not too wet for the Food Festival next Sunday :-{
Luckily I had my fancy new boots on - a gift (thanks Alfie!) I certainly wouldn't pay that much for wellies, but they are lovely and comfy as well as looking great.
We only went up today to get rid of some kitchen waste to the compost bin and to pick more sweetcorn and beans.
Mmm, cooked sweetcorn with butter - nothing better, but you can see here that not all of the kernels formed on one of the cobs - we clearly should have done a bit more hand-pollination on these. We think the cobs on the other side of the block will have got more of the pollen because the wind more often blows that direction.
Here's something you don't normally expect to find at the end of September - the birds are certainly enjoying this unexpected treat!
My next post will be in October so I thought this song finishes off the month nicely, by Earth, Wind and Fire (don't even try not to sing-along).

6 comments:

  1. Lots of rain here too so we’re hoping that the soil doesn’t become too craggy to dig. We were up on the Moors during one downpour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been dry so far today but looks like we're going to get a flooding this evening - or just in time for the drive home from work :-{

      Delete
  2. Apart from last week September was a good plotting month. It's been ages since I last saw a rainbow. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good month, but of course I wish we'd done more plotting!

      Delete
  3. we have so many of the same cookbooks, have you cooked from The Vegetarian Gourmet - its a old book, but has lots of interesting recipes. Im not familiar with the Spanish Tapas book you have there though. Fresh sweetcorn - nice and Yes, I have found some strawberries too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to revisit some of those books, not that there's much to harvest now 😩 That tapas book has some interesting recipes but is lacking photos

    ReplyDelete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda