Sunday 13 January 2019

Taste it

Another visit to the plot this afternoon where we didn't achieve anything - it's just too grey to want to stay outside, although it wasn't too cold or wet.

I spoke to Roger, a fellow plotholder, and he's decided to take on another two plots - he and his family are excellent growers and are happy to take on a couple of plots which have horsetail growing on them. Our plot 3 has this stubborn, but interesting, pre-historic weed, but it can be contained with regular digging - we've found.
Field horsetail - young
Not my photo
We have less empty plots than people on the waiting list now (although we're just at renewal month, so that may change). It's great for us to have a waiting list, as we sadly still live with the threat of a short lease hanging over us.

Jamie and I picked a few vegetables for a couple of meals and I'm making soup for lunches. Jamie's going to make one of our favourites: leek and quorn (chicken-style) in a cheese sauce with mashed potato topping. He's also intending to make bubble and squeak (potato and sprout) patties. We were very pleased to see how long the leeks have grown - it seems I must have puddled them in pretty deep as there is a lovely long bit of blanching on them.

My soup is celeriac and leek. Mmmm, I so love the smell of celeriac.

I've used half a stock cube, lots of pepper and some of this seaweed (Kelp) seasoning from Ebb Tides - a Christmas gift from my sister who lives in Devon. Lucky we're just about to have dinner otherwise there may not be much soup left for my lunches next week!

The allotment site had a delivery this weekend - that should be encouragement enough for us to actually do some digging next weekend... hmm, we'll see what the weather is doing at that point...
£1 per wheelbarrow-load to plotholders - what a bargain!
So to the song title...a little bit of INXS - nice. Well I couldn't resist a taste of the soup. The kale has been revitalised, from dry, and has given an extra dimension to the soup - a little bit of chew to each spoonful! Delicious!

6 comments:

  1. Ah the dreaded horsetail, takes me back to when I had an allotment! The weather is grey, but your right we do need to make an effort digging. I may muster up some energy to get the garden plot ready, and chuck some manure over it. I also need to get some seeds ordered. The soup look lovely, always nice to eat homegrown produce. I have some seaweed in my cupboards that need using, thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup is very tasty - it's covered two lunches and just about enough for one more I think.

      Delete
  2. Your site is huge ours has about 60 plots some divided into half plots, no wonder you can rally enough support for activities, I also guess the stirrers have less effect when absorbed into a large community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our plots range from 1 pole to 4 poles - we have about 70 individual households at the moment so I think we have done pretty well to have 10 committee members and (touch wood) I'm not aware of any stirrers at the moment...!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda