Sunday 25 January 2015

Counting Birds and Planting Garlic (again)

The temperature over the last week has been a bit up and down, but the coldest of the very frosty nights sank to -5°. It felt chillier than the reported 7° today, especially when the wind blew, but we spent a couple of hours on the plot. I wanted to get the counting done for the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch and started counting for an hour from about 1:10 with the following results:
(Robson)
 
  • 2 x Robins
  • 1 x Blackbird (Mrs B)
  • 2 x Long-tailed tits (such pretty little birds!)
  • 6 x Terns (they were flying around from across the canal)
  • 2 x Pigeons (surprisingly low numbers)
  • 1 x Blue Tit
  • 2 x Mallard Ducks (flying across from the canal)
  • 2 x Chaffinch
  • 2 x Magpies
  • 3 x Crows
  • 1 x Pheasant (just the one female showed herself today)
Of course, at about 2:30, when the sun shone for about 20 minutes a whole host of birds arrived - several long-tailed tits, a pair of blue tits, a great tit and at least one wren.




I tried to photograph a lot of the birds but didn't do too well. 
 
So, apart from Mrs B and Robson I only managed to snap the blue tit - they are very nippy and rather shy of us at the moment, so didn't pose or let me get close enough for a good shot.
Jamie dug an area to put some broad beans in - we didn't get any last year as the pheasants took a fancy to them. This year we'll protect them with a surround of sturdy mesh. We're hoping to warm the ground a bit before the beans go in - in early February.
Apart from counting and chasing birds with my camera I put some more garlic in. The cloves I planted haven't sprouted and I only found the remains of one when I furtled around in the raised bed.
I bought a packet of 2 Germidour bulbs from Wilkos - I've seen contradictory reports of how good their veg is, but the packet only cost £2 so figure it is worth a go... I planted the cloves quite close together. It's a softneck variety.
Then Jamie found this in last year's garlic bed! A clove had grown into a bulb and now each clove on that has sprouted! I stuck that in the raised bed - as a clump, so will see what happens to that - it's meant to produce smaller bulbs quickly. We'll see...
Here come the chives! They're on their way - roll on Springtime :-)
Now we're going to have a haggis (vegetarian of course) for dinner - first time ever - with a few carrots and shop-bought tatties. We're going Scottish for Burn's Night...

1 comment:

  1. Very different from our results in some ways e.g tern and mallards My results will be posted tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda