Monday 17 April 2023

Jump Around

The weekend wasn't as sunny as we'd hoped and we only visited the allotment on Sunday. We needed to pick some purple sprouting brocolli.

As you can see we also picked some rhubarb. The stems are rather thin from our plant on Plot3 but we thought it was worth a taster before the large plant on Plot8 provides us with more substantial stems. The psb was delish though.

The mangetout is growing pretty well, I'll leave it in the polytunnel for a bit longer before moving outside a week or two prior to planting out. We've put up our inner-polytunnel for added protection for our seeds which we intend to start sowing next weekend. No sign of the beetroot germinating outside yet.

Our grafted pepper plants have arrived: Sweet Eternity, Sweet Solario and Sweet Campor. They're enjoying the kitchen window for a few weeks but we have to move them if the Sun shines too brightly.

So, as that was a rather short, dull post (like the weekend 😏) I spent time writing a blogpost about frogs on my Wildlife on The Allotment blog - why not hop over and take a look <snigger>

The song title is provided by House of Pain (don't judge me, like my work colleagues did when I shared my screen and the video was shared with them all 😁 Well, they shouldn't have called me when I was having my lunch 😂)

8 comments:

  1. One of our rhubarb plants had sent up a load of flower stems which I duly chopped off. We were saying that we ought to harvest some stems and then didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some plants seem to go to seed very quickly. The stems we picked were tasty oven-roasted with sugar and orange juice but our later variety definitely has a better rhubarb flavour - don’t know what variety it is unfortunately

      Delete
  2. (Green) House Music? Love your house within a tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That rhubarb looks okay, I've yet to pick any of mine.
    We could certainly do with some better plotting weather. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was ok very skinny though. A few dry days in a row would be most welcome!

      Delete
  4. I've never heard the term mangetout before and I LOVE it. Our rhubarb is still quite behind yours, but things are coming along in the plots. We'll be eating bok choy soon. Matt transplanted the onion seedlings out yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like mangetout. The pods arrive nice and early so avoids the risk of finding pea weevils!
      Bok Choy - that’s what we call pak choi. Lovely! I’ll be growing some later in the year.

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda