Monday 24 April 2023

Time for Action

What a lovely long day we had on the allotment yesterday. It was warm and the Sun even appeared from between the cloud at times.
Broad bean flowers
We’ve taken the net cloches off the broad beans so that the bees and other insects can do their pollination duty to provide us with some tasty broad beans quite soon. The photo above is one of the plants sown at the end of October- they survived the extreme frost; some of their gang didn’t which is why we have a bit of succession planting.
Yesterday we were mostly sowing (and chatting and listening to the birds) during our several hours on the plot. In the inner polytunnel tunnel we have: Flowers: Verbena bonariensis, Nicotiana Whisper, Ipomoea Iobata (Spanish flag), Calendula Officinalis ‘Canteloupe’, Marigold ‘Legion of Honour’, Sunflower ‘Tall Timber’ and veg: Rainbow chard, Asparagus pea and an All Green courgette is an early sowing at home.
The nicotiana (Tobacco plant) has the tiniest possible seeds - there they are a tiny smudge in the bottom of that miniature phial. And only 20 seeds! But I know they're a pretty flower so I hope they work.
 

Most of these flowers are destined for the flower plot this year, around the bench. It's great to see the perennials re-appearing now the ground is warming up and the daffodils finally came out.
I'm trying to keep on top of the weeds which are appearing and also pulling up some of the masses of Nigella. Having said that, Ivan gave us this plant, which looks a bit like Nigella - but we're not too sure what it is at this point. It's probably a weed as it was growing amongst his irises. I do like the foliage and I'm sure the flowers will provide an identification quite soon and we can decide then whether it's a keeper.
I was going to sow some veg outside but the ground was too wet. I have a week off soon so hopefully the weather will be a bit drier then. If we get the spuds planted out next week we'll have some space under the grow lamp at home. I've started parsnips by germinating them at home on a paper towel - they are notoriously awkward germinators so this way I'll only plant viable seed to get the best chance of a few parsnips this year.
At the weekend we spotted our first swallow of the season and then yesterday it was joined by a pair of house martens so it's really beginning to feel Spring-like, although night-time temperatures are still dipping close to zero (centigrade) and frosty rooftops are still regular morning sights. The birds were in full song at the weekend though and Ted pointed out at least two song thrushes, by their songs. That would help to explain all the broken snail shells but there are plenty of living snails left!
Rain threatened

I spent a lot of time scrambling around by the pond trying to get a 'from the bottom of the pond' style photo. I had my camera on remote control using my phone and had some tadpoles in a transparent pot. It was quite awkward and of the 20-ish photos this was the best but isn't quite what I was aiming for ... oh well, perhaps I'll try again another day.

From the bottom of the pond
But I thought this gelatenous outline was quite interesting on this shot.

Anyway, enough about tadpoles! Here's an arty photo of purple sprouting brocolli and chive flower buds which formed part of my meal the other night. 

I used one of the frozen bean burgers that I made a few weeks ago. I squashed it flat like a pancake; it still fell apart, but I really like the flavour of borlotti beans.

At 3pm yesterday everyone (almost) reached for their phones as we received our first ever Government 'Emergency Alert' - great, what a hopeful new advance for the 21st Century...😕

Oh well, it gave me an excuse to use this song by Secret Affair. Let's hope we never have to hear the alert alarm again.

6 comments:

  1. We turmed our alrams off as we couldn't think of an emergency where an alarm would help - unless it was to warm of pigeons eyeing the brassicas - so prefer not to know. Apparently it didn't work on every phone.
    Can you ever keep up wotn weeds? We're starting a second batch of parsnips today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean about the warning signal and I hope they don’t start linking it to weather warnings until the MO improves its model!
      I’m hoping the wanted plant growth will soon hide the weeds 😊

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful, joyous blog you have created for us all to enjoy. Fabulous photography, great music and a super read. It was lovely to meet you at Marsh Lane yesterday. (Linda - an allotment newbie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your kind words. Glad you’ve enjoyed reading and dancing along 😊 Lovely to meet you yesterday. Hoping for a few more warm allotmenting days very soon!

      Delete
  3. I am so fascinated by these tadpoles!! Thanks for the hassle trying to capture a photo. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are a joy to check up on at every visit 😊

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda