Tuesday 26 July 2022

The Last Film

Trug of veg
Our new trug - thanks Joanne

Today we’re hoping to have another drone video filmed over the site by Colin. Thank goodness the wind has died down from the blustery days we’ve just had, would be nice if the sun shone a bit too. This is the film he produced 8 years ago, in April 2014.

April 2014
The site is looking much more loved now, which I hope will be apparent from the air. It’s just a shame the ground and grass is so parched at present.
Plot 7
I pulled one of the Salad Blue potato plants yesterday. A good number of tubers and they’re certainly blue!
Salad Blue potatoes
We finished off our first harvest of Nicola potatoes with roasted veg and halloumi last night. The halloumi is on fried courgette slabs (thick slices).
Halloumi and Roasted veg
That meal and the cold roasted veg that I had for lunch turned out much better than the large stuffed patty pan I cooked the other day. The patty pan refused to cook through and I had even boiled the whole thing for 15 minutes prior to stuffing. I had to eat round all the hard bits which doesn’t make for an enjoyable meal.
My sister came to visit us on the plot at the weekend. It was lovely chatting in the warmth and showing her what’s growing and what’s not. Her zinnias at home are in flower but ours seem to be rather slow. However, this comparison from 4 weeks previous shows how far they’ve come on though not as much as the pot marigolds.
4 weeks comparison of flower patch
The chrysanthemum at the back are shorter than I thought they’d be, but they’re extremely pretty up close.
Chrysanthemum
This River Lily on the wildlife bog garden (not so boggy at the moment) is rather beautiful too. While I was doing a bit of weeding there a small frog (about 2cm) bounced in front of me. I wonder if that is one of our home-grown ones.
River Lily
Our pumpkin plant has grown one pumpkin, it’s already football-sized (“Come on England!” 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) but the plant seems to be stopping any other fruits from growing; they drop off very early. We think it may be due to the weather, or perhaps we’re going to have one GIANT pumpkin!
Pumpkin
I attempted to plait my garlic, but couldn’t do it, so I have a knot of garlic instead - that’s fine 🙂 and it’s already been used in most of the meals I’ve mentioned. 
Garlic knot
The song title, provided by Kissing The Pink (loved this song) is obviously about the 2014 footage, which I’ll just watch again ☺️

4 comments:

  1. Plaiting garlic really is impossible (especially with hard neck varieties). Nice harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes finally we’re getting a bit of variety in our harvests - though mostly courgettes, obviously 🙂

      Delete
  2. So much nice produce! Gosh are the potatoes blue and the pattypan squash are just marvellous. You can never go wrong with fried halloumi with some veg either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you VegHog! I certainly agree about the halloumi meal!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda