Tuesday 19 April 2022

Holiday

What a beautiful Easter weekend! Lots of sunshine and warm temperatures every day. Those clouds just started to get darker on Monday afternoon - good timing!

Chives
We spent hours on the allotment over the lovely 4-day weekend. I dug through the area in front of the bench. Lots of couch and hedge roots to remove from the area which has been under weed-suppressant for a few years. 

Plot 7 Marsh Lane

One particularly large root took a lot of tugging; when it gave, I discovered that it was a (the?) tap-root of the Lovage plant DOH! So I'm quite expecting part of that lovely plant to die off soon... The wet patches are where I've sown some chrysanthemums - I want that area to be a beautiful flower bed... we'll see!

Lovage leaf

Jamie was working on the carrot trench and it's environmesh cage then sowed two rows of carrots (Eskimo and Early Nantes 5). We really hope they do better than last year when we hardly had any carrots to eat. We're being more generous with our sowings this year, where previously we've been a bit tight; we've decided to sow lots and plan on thinning more than we usually do.

Carrot trench

I've been more liberal with my beetroot, parsnip, radish, spring onion and lettuce seeds that went in on Sunday too. 

The watering regime has started. As you can see the ground is very dry, but there may be a few showers this week.

Carrots, beets, spring onions, salad

I cleared some weeds and some of the masses of nigella seedlings near the pond. I transplanted a couple of houseleek and hope that they'll spread across the area.

Houseleek

The pots next to the bench will be moved when I plan to have Love Lies Bleeding growing there. The seeds, along with some more sunflowers, are sown into pots and in the polytunnel so I'm hoping the night temperatures don't dip too low. 

The pots are full of various flowers and bulbs including the tulips that my nephew, George, gave us for Christmas which are just developing. Also the bay laurel from my sister, but the cold winds hit it when it was in a different position and some of the leaves went brown. I'm hoping it'll be happier in that more protected spot.

Tulip bud

Meanwhile the wallflowers are providing a lovely scent, even though they're beginning to go over now. They come back every year and are messy but so pretty. My mum always insisted on pulling them up each year and then I'd go searching for new plants each spring.

Wallflowers

We managed another PSB harvest along with some leeks. Much of the Purple Sprouting Brocolli is covered in yellow flowers now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another lot of shoots now that I've chopped these off.

Final(?) harvest of PSB plus leeks

I've made leek and chestnut soup, with turmeric, for my lunches. I had to have a taster - delish.

Leek and Chestnut soup

And lastly, we have a frog in the pond on the wildlife plot! I'm not sure if he found his own way there. He may have arrived with a lot of duckweed, which I think the tadpoles will appreciate as protection.

Frog

The song title is provided by Weezer - it may have only been 4 days but it felt like a holiday. Bliss!

6 comments:

  1. Good to read, and see, that you made the most of the good weather. There's been little, or no, rain here for a while so I've started watering where needed. Lucky you with the frog. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. All change now, cold and windy but still no rain. Yes, always great to see a frog!

      Delete
  2. I'm wondering whether we have seen the last of the PSB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ours is a mass of yellow flowers now. Shame, I've really enjoyed it

      Delete
  3. My carrots over past years have been tiny (but delicious) and take forever to grow which I find weird as I had no problem with them when I started my veg patch. Recently I've been growing them in raised beds but this year I've sowed into the ground as well - hoping for better success! Watering has been essential here as well, especially for seeds sown and spuds planted. Good luck with the lovage - I transplanted mine several years ago as it got so big so moved it to the shade under the fruit trees and it comes back every year - it's a survivor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it's a survivor. It has such a lovely scent, I look forward to using it for something this year. We've finally had a bit of rain now, but it's doing up quickly. Hope your (and our) carrots do better this year!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda