Tuesday 5 April 2022

14 Years

It was a cold weekend - very cold nights with the temperature falling to -6.8° on Saturday night. We got up early (well, not that early but it felt it!) and walked up to the allotment to open the polytunnel door. 

Hungerford Kennet and Avon canal

It's always nice walking through Hungerford on a sunny morning as everyone says "Good morning!" to each other.

Early morning sunshine

And it was so pleasant when we got to site that we just sat by the wildlife plot listening to the birds for a while. The little pond had ice on it on Sunday morning so I'm not surprised the tadpoles stayed low in the pond until the water started to warm up.

Allotment early evening

Of course, each evening we have to go back to the plot to shut the polytunnel down for the night. Rain threatened, but I'm pleased to say we didn't get a soaking. The site is nicely active at the moment with new and returning plotholders trying to get everything prepared for sowing.

The Delikata mangetout have all germinated. I'll let them grow quite a lot taller before planting them outside, otherwise the pigeons will decimate them - like they do every year. I really need to fix up some better protection but that can make it difficult to pick the pods - oh, decisions, decisions! Some of the PSB and brussels sprouts have also germinated, but sadly some of the tagetes got frostbite even inside the inner polytunnel.

Cleared for flowers
On Sunday I managed to clear and dig the old seating area which had rotten wooden decking over weed suppressant - and a lot of weed growth. It looks like such a small area, but honestly, it was exhausting! That's where I'm putting the three lovely (bearded?) irises that Ivan gave us. They should spread well, he got 23 plants from his one original! They need (something like) 7 hours of sunshine on their rhizomes so mustn't be planted deep, which is why they will have pride of place at the front of the plot.

A day's pills 

And today's post is remembering 5th April 2008 - a date when someone else's kindness provided me with a new lease of life. This daily cocktail of pills helps to keep my transplant working and my heart healthy so I can get plenty more years from my donated kidney.

Thankyou to all the donors and relatives of donors who choose to opt-in so that their body can help others should the worst happen.The song is provided by Guns n Roses

8 comments:

  1. And may you have many, many more years to come. I've been on the donation register since I was 16. If my parts can help somebody else to have a happy fulfilling life after I'm done then by all means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou and good for you, Dragon!
      My thoughts exactly, though I don't think anyone will want most of my parts :-)

      Delete
  2. Such a cheery post. A delight to read. (And what's a few tagetes in the scheme of things)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post and pictures. Nice to see you remembering and thanking donors as you have. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about relatively small areas wearing you out. I guess that it’s an effect of winter inactivity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure it is. At least you have Ruby to keep your legs moving throughout the year!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda