Sunday 11 July 2021

Mas Que Nada

This post is mostly going to be about food, with the occasional ‘Come on England!’ because I’m so excited that we’ve reached the Euros final!

Come on England!

The broad beans have been serving us well and I made hummus today using the recipe from The Lazy Cat Kitchen. I did add a bit of chilli and used sesame oil, instead of olive oil.

Hummus ingredients
It’s a tasty dip for charcoal crackers. (Neal, if you’re reading this I meant to say that I pinched a bit of your mint. Hope you don’t mind!)
Broad bean hummus
We enjoyed this broad beans dish as part of a tapas meal. So tasty fried with onions and paprika. The red onion makes it look very different from the recipe I used from The Fiery Vegetarian.
Spanish Fava beans recipe
Another tapas dish was this bean salad, with last year’s Gigantes beans, peppers, spring onions and tomatoes. Again, it looks completely different from the recipe, but was so delicious. It covered me for an additional 3 lunches too.
As well as broad beans, the courgettes are now coming thick and fast so we had my favourite courgette stuffed with cheese, onion and mixed nuts stuffed courgette for dinner last night.
Stuffed courgette
We went to the allotment this afternoon, it was cool, grey but at least dry after some torrential rain yesterday. Jamie fed all the plants and I mostly played about with our new camera. It’s an Olympus Tough TG6 and look how tough… This is how you wash it!!
Tough
It’s a good handy-sized camera and is particularly good for macro shots. These are two microscope mode shots of a pumpkin flower. So far, so good.
Pumpkin flower

Pumpkin flower
Some of this year’s garlic had fallen over so I pulled it early and it’s dried off nicely so they went home.
I pulled the rest of the garlic today and have hung it in the polytunnel to dry - it’s quite pungent in there! I don’t know whether it’ll help or add to the amount of insect life we have in there.
Come on England!
So that’s what we’ve been doing to pass the time while waiting for England versus Italy; England’s first time in a final since I was one-week old! COME ON ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 
The fab song title means ‘more than nothing’ or ‘more than everything’ and is by Tony Hatch.

4 comments:

  1. Hope that you are not feeling to bad - still you had some lovely food to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was a great tournament and Italy are a great team to take to penalties in the final. More time to enjoy on the allotment now 🙂

      Delete
  2. Your broad bean dip looks so good, we did not grown enough to enjoy as a dip.
    you'd be very much welcome to pinching my mint, its such an invasive herb. I always admire and buy charcoal crackers, but its hit and miss - with some literally feel like eat grit, and as someone who has fillings, its uncomfortable as it feels like a filling has fallen out. Great to see your allotment harvest, homegrown garlic is def. pungent and strong in flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, gritty foods. I do like charcoal flavourings, I had some delicious charcoal bread rolls once. Small harvests at the moment

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda