Thursday 1 July 2021

Good Day Sunshine

Greater spotted woodpecker feathers
Look at those feathers! Interesting aren’t they? I never realised that greater (probably) spotted woodpeckers literally have polka dot feathers! Unfortunately there was a pile of them. We have a sparrow hawk which leaves piles of feathers around the site every few days.
Sparrowhawk
Photo courtesy of Ted
Our HAHA chair, Ted, was lucky enough to get this photo of the sparrowhawk with some prey. It was busy protecting its dinner from a red kite overhead so Ted was able to get pretty close. Amazing. We wish it would take out rats rather than our bird life though.
Broad beans
We’ve been enjoying broad beans over the last couple of weeks. They’re so delicious; hot or cold. We’ve had them in these dishes: broad bean & tofu sweet chilli noodles, broad bean & ‘Vivera bacon’ gnocchi, with seitan fillets & mash, covered in parsley sauce and in allotment salads for lunch.
Broad bean salad
I actually made a cake too - I know, twice in two years - unbelievable! This one was just as a topping on strawberry & rhubarb, instead of doing a crumble. I used this recipe and it was really delicious. We don’t have any vanilla essence so I used a splosh of honey rum instead.
Strawberry & rhubarb with sponge topping
We had a lovely day on the allotment last Saturday. It’s our Hungerford in Bloom judging this weekend so we were doing a lot of weeding. We’re only entering Plot7 and Plot3; Plot8 is still a bit out of control 🙄
Plot3
Plot3
I made another bottle waterer for the patty pan on Plot7, all the squashes and courgettes have one now, so watering is directed straight to the roots. We chop the base off the bottle, Leave the lid on and burn holes in the lid and in the cone part of the bottle so the water doesn’t pour through too quickly once it’s pushed into the ground. With trailing squash it also helps you remember where the plant’s roots are!
And can you guess what’s going to be appearing on our meal lists quite soon..?
First courgette
I’m unusually writing this on a Thursday as I have 2 days off work - yay and the sky is blue-ish! We’ve been enjoying the year-late Euros, especially when England beat Germany so we’re on to the quarter finals this weekend.
England v Germany celebrations
So, a happy song for you to enjoy, provided by…Paul McCartney. Sing along now 🥳

10 comments:

  1. "Sparrow Hawk" - I guess the clue is in the name as to it's preferred choice of meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A shame about the woodpecker, but then again, they're not above drilling into the odd nest box and eating baby blue tits. It's brutal out there! Amazing shot of the sparrowhawk, and fantastic to have red kite around as well. Your courgettes are doing well, and I love the bottle watering tip, I'll definitely try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, nature is cruel but I was glad to see the feathers up close.
      We’re saving the courgettes till Sunday, I think we may have four by then!

      Delete
  3. Those feathers are magnificent as are the beans. Good luck for England tonight! We'll be watching in Denmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just sitting down to watch Denmark now - good luck!

      Delete
  4. Nature can be harsh. As well a rats any bird of prey is welcome to wood pigeons, In fact the feathery remains on our plot may indeed be from a wood pigeon.
    For a moment I thought you'd made a broad bean cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, a broad bean cake! That’s one I haven’t seen yet!

      Delete
  5. It's been a while sinc eive seen a sparrow hawk close up, pretty amazing. You made me think too about the greater spotted woodpeckers feathers being polka dot , so pretty - but sad at the same time if the sparrow hawk got its beak into one! I'd treasure those feathers though, make something from them. e envy your harvest of broad beans and your grub looks good. And the rhubarb cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw a pigeon hawk fly over today, but have never seen a sparrowhawk up close.
      Those feathers don’t look natural, so cool! But judging by the amount, I don’t think the woodpecker survived the meeting 😞

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda