Sunday 16 May 2021

Mosaic

We spent several hours on the plot yesterday and today we went up specifically to enjoy the rain from the polytunnel while having a coffee.

Chive flower
That’s our first chive flower to open. I’m waiting for more in order to make chive flower vinegar.
Strawberry
And here’s the evidence that Jamie’s pollination technique worked; our first little green strawberry is on its way.
Plot7
There’s a sunny-ish photo from yesterday. You can see our giant rhubarb which we’ll be living on for a while - tasty rhubarb on waffles for breakfast. Yum!
Rhubarb waffles
We did lots of weeding yesterday and Jamie sowed some sunflowers. Alfie gave us some spare wildflower seed so I added that to the wildlife plot and Kerry had planted some self-seeded marjoram, which the bees and butterflies love. I spent most of the time planting up pots and a trough for taking home once the plants have got a bit bigger; Fuchsia and geraniums plus some trailing plants to cheer up a spot that doesn’t get sunshine.
Hungerford allotment
The carrots haven’t germinated yet, but the potatoes have emerged in the bags and the ground. Some of the sown salad has popped up, particularly the salad onions and radishes but mostly it’s the weeds that have made the most of this sunshine & showers weather.
Tiny spud plant
Yesterday I sowed 5 varieties of squash at home. Autumn varieties except the Tromboncino. These are all to create my squash tunnel (fingers crossed).
Selecting seeds
Selecting 3 seeds of each and now they’re under the grow-lamp. I hope they’re as quick to germinate as the courgettes and pumpkins.
Squash seeds
Our trip to the plot today was very wet, but the birds were singing and the new growth everywhere is so fresh and clean so it was nice to sit and watch, but once my trouser legs were soaked through it got rather chilly so we went home. 
Hawthorn aka May blossom
The song title is provided by Patti Smith because I found this interesting setting on my camera. I rather like it.
Mosaic effect
So here’s the song - enjoy. By the way, I’m still none the wiser about the origin of our little clay figure...


4 comments:

  1. That setting on your camera is an homage to the art work on the Talking Heads album sleeve (remember them?) More Songs About Building and Food.

    Good luck with the squashes. Tromboncino can be a bit of a wanderer by all accounts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah, I like Talking Heads, saw them on tv the other day, as it happens.
      So far only 2 squashes haven’t germinated: 2 Boston’s. I haven’t seen tromboncino actually growing. As long as it wanders over the trellis I don’t mind 🙂

      Delete
    2. Once it gets going you will wonder what you have let loose! I once interviewed Tina Weymouth (for a student rag).

      Delete
    3. Well that was a scoop!
      Perhaps I’ll only need one tromboncino squash then... we have two other courgette plants and I haven’t got all my work colleagues to share veg with as I’m still working from home

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda