Thursday 31 December 2020

Say Hello Wave Goodbye

This is the obligatory look back over the year - a year that certainly didn’t follow any plan and I don’t suppose there are many who aren’t happy to see the back of 2020 with high hopes for 2021. Even though the year has obviously been dominated by COVID-19, horrible statistics, social distancing, lockdown tiers and face masks this post is only covering my highlights. 

I read more books than usual and I think I’ll continue to do so, rather than just reading on holiday which is how our year started (little did we realise how lucky we were with our timing). 
Carnivale

Aah, those costumes and fabulous drummers! Carnivalesque - Such a fabulous time to visit Tenerife. 

Carnival Queen
Shielding and lockdown kept me indoors for more than 70 days, working from home was enough to drive anyone stir crazy... my hair bore the brunt of the boredom.
My first trip outside was at 4am in June to see the sun rise over Freeman’s Marsh. It was worth getting up so early.
Hungerford Freeman’s Marsh

The poppy fields just up the road were well worth another walk outside and the weather was beautiful.

Pharmaceutical poppies

It seems that 2020 was a good year for flowers in and around Hungerford.

Wildflowers
Birthday trip to Chalk Hill

Sunflower fields

I was inspired to do some embroidery - the first time in decades. Loved doing it and love my sewn Plot7 but it seems that isn’t a hobby I’m going to keep doing.

Feeling creative I also did some decorative baking (after seeing it on the Veg Hog’s blog) - focaccia will definitely be made again.

Decorated focaccia

Decorated focaccia

I made a foraged blackberry and apple crumble. (Bear with me, I don’t cook much)

Blackberry and apple crumble

And even baked a cake, with a tromboncino squash donated by a fellow plotholder.

Squash cake
We did get to the allotment and enjoyed some lovely hot days, or lunch hours, up there. We even did a bit of clearing, but didn’t get much planted. Our generous allotment friends and my sister made sure we got fresh fruit and veg though.
Our sad overgrown plot
The allotments got a flurry of new plotholders and a substantial waiting list, as recognised by the local paper. (That’s our plot in the photo 😊)
Newbury Weekly News

2020 was also a good year for wildlife, particularly when the traffic was so reduced in the Spring and with the reduced air pollution because so few planes were flying. On the allotment we saw these great caterpillars - I was so pleased to find my first hawk moth and then found a second one!
Elephant Hawk moth
Elephant hawk moth
Elephant hawk moth
Elephant hawk moth
Pale Tussock moth
Pale tussock moth
So, my blog was much more of a lifestyle blog, I hope it features much more of the allotment next year. This morning, for the last time this year, I hung around by the canal while Jamie went shopping. It was cold and frosty with just a couple of men working on their narrow boats and a family feeding the ducks.
Narrow boats

So it’s goodbye to 2020 and hello to 2021, song title provided by Soft Cell.

Thankyou for visiting and we wish you all a Happy New Year 🥳 

Blog | Hungerford Allotment

8 comments:

  1. I wonder how many newly adopted hobbies will be persevered with. Happy New Year and let's hope everyone is vaccinated as quickly as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post and lovely pictures. Thanks, and for you too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason the chorus of Status Quo's Rockin All Over The World spring to mind...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely blog post. I love your changing hair colours, your far braver than me. Your Veg Plot embroidery is gorgeous, my mother used to do a lot of embroidery, she had many books with intricate embroidery patterns but then her eyes started to suffer and she stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen. I had to buy a very bright light for my pretty basic embroidery, it really was an eye-strain

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda