Tuesday 27 August 2019

Something for the Weekend

I've had a lovely Bank Holiday weekend. I visited my mum in her new care home in Devon staying with my sister, Carolyn, on the hottest bank holiday on record. As if Devonshire sunshine wasn't enough, the nursing home grounds were being used for a big party!
The live music, 1500+ people, a jug of Pimms and sunshine made for a fun afternoon.
My mum's room was very close to the stage so the music was incredibly loud but she enjoyed it and it didn't go on late into the evening. By the next day it was all cleared and there was little evidence of what had gone on the day before.
Before the party we went for a long walk along the Tarka Trail beside the tidal estuary of the River Taw.
Lovely scenery and interesting rock formations as well as lots of seabirds to look at - mostly gulls, oyster catchers and a curlew. We walked back past a lovely field of corn and sunflowers.
And an amazing field planted up with flowers for wildlife. Beautiful.
Both evenings we ate our meal in Carolyn and Paul's lovely garden.
They have a raised bed with veggies and I am envious of their nasturtiums which we must try growing on the allotment again next year.
The evening didn't exactly get cold but it was fun having the fire and watching the bats fly around us and the dark sky above North Devon was so clear that I saw two satellites (not the International Space Station). I've only seen them in Tenerife before.
Paul put his telescope up on the clearest night and we saw Saturn! Amazing to see it 'live' after seeing so many pictures of it. And, using his strong binoculars, we saw two of Jupiter's moons - another first for me, very exciting!
Then on my final day we took my mum out and, along with lots of other people, we watched The Legendary Grand Tour Mini rally as it drove past the manor - apparently the mini is 60 years old this year.
We think there were about 300 minis, decorated and tooting their horns.
My mum's hat blew off and went under a mini :-D Luckily it went between the wheels and survived' causing much amusement to onlookers :-)
But then I had to drive home. Luckily the journey home only took 3 hours, not the 5 hours it took to get there - the M5 was slightly less busy. Devon is so green compared to Berkshire; I couldn't resist stopping to take a photo of the stunning scenery.
And I do like to see windmills.
Today I planted up the cuttings from their beautiful buddleja which attracted so many butterflies in their garden - I hope they survive and we get more than just white butterflies on the allotment over the next few years..
Divine Comedy provide the song title.

4 comments:

  1. It was a fun weekend. Glad you could come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The care home looks lovely. My first car was an old mini that I lovingly hand painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first car was a white mini - pre-painted 🙂

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda