Sunday 17 March 2019

All the Small Things

The wind was really strong again today after a further storm over the last few days - Storm Gareth this time. We had a delivery in the week so had to go to the plot to transplant these tiny begonias.
They're the tiniest plug plants I've ever seen, but they look healthy and are going to be Funky Pink, Funky Orange and Funky White. They're mostly going to be for the HAHA Plant Sale in June, so we've potted them on and taken them back home - they won't appreciate the cold temperatures we're expecting over the next few days and couldn't survive in those tiny modules for much longer.
They look happier now they're potted up in some new compost with a suitably labelled lolly stick. I also potted on the sweetpeas which Ivan gave me a couple of weeks ago. I had already pinched the tops out so they look like they're going to bush out a bit more. Jamie said they could be planted out, but I've no idea where they're going yet and there isn't a clear bit of earth even if I did know!
We really need a good few days to get onto our plots and start clearing before the weeds completely take over. Today wasn't the day for that though. As well as gales we had some cold rain - this lovely lighting appeared just before the rain.
I was hoping to see some pond-life today, but no froggies yet - just a lot of water snails.
And the South-East corner of the site has been collecting debris as usual during these windy spells! Notice the grape hyacinth that we transferred to the grassy knoll last year - I hope they'll spread all over, they're so pretty and the bees love them.
We weren't on site very long, it did get rather chilly. But we had some nice chats and  got a few things done - just not on our plots, still it's only early.. One more thing... if you're near Hungerford next Friday - you're invited...
The blog title is provided by Blink 182 - I can't help but like this song though the video is a bit ..er.. funny...

8 comments:

  1. Becomes are getting very popular aren't they......such amazing colours!
    At last the wind has stopped here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Begonias - yes, there are some great colours about. Hope these prove popular on our stall.

      Delete
  2. Gardening - Sound, Video - Dodgy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever grown begonias from seed, the seed is like dust and the newly germinated seedlings are tiny. I used to run a plant stall for our school's carnival but it got so that I couldn't use our greenhouse as it was packed with stuff for the plant stall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never grown from seed. I do have some seeds to sow for the sale. I'm hoping to use some other people's growing tunnels on the allotment and there's a small greenhouse at work that I'm hoping to take over...

      Delete
  4. Nice plantlings coming up in your garden! It's nice to see the growth in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. It is good to be starting, but as usual we are going much slower than intended...

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda