Tuesday 20 November 2018

Golden Brown

What a lovely Autumn weekend we had. It was a bit fresh, but very pleasant in the sunshine.
Saturday was a quick visit to pick some veg. Mainly for soup - I have some chestnuts left over after making the most delicious chestnut and pumpkin stew last week..
Onions/shallots are being steadily eaten, they're surviving pretty well in their netting suspended from the greenhouse roof - some are attempting to re-grow as it's been warm. The beetroot and small carrot were grated for a salad - though the purple radish had been nibbled by something, I only needed a few bits (luckily). The HoneyBoat squash will be stuffed for a meal during the week.
A beautiful calendula which has survived the cold weather and the hot sun has drawn it back into flower. So pretty. But the cold weather coming up will probably stop them in their tracks. Unlike the Californian poppies which seem to be indestructible and have almost covered the plot where we had our sweetcorn. Oh well, they are beautiful and if they pop up between some veg I won't be too upset.
There is still more to harvest - the kohl rabi have recovered after the pigeons pecked most of the leaves - they have more growing to do before we will pick them and there are nice florets on the purple sprouting broccoli, although there are a lot of whitefly. We need a harsh frost to kill them off I think!
Something large has visited our garlic bed, but no sign of garlic appearing yet - I think this is probably a cat, I'm pleased it didn't leave a 'gift' behind :-}
I'm at work, eating my delicious chunky carrot and chestnut soup while there's a very cold wind and rain hitting the window - but I don't mind too much as Jamie and I are going to Oxford this week for a bit of Christmas shopping - I'm feeling quite Christmassy already after seeing the Newbury lights at the weekend.
And, I can't believe I haven't already used this Stranglers song on my blog - this was the second single I bought, such a great song. Enjoy.

13 comments:

  1. We cover our brassicas with enviromesh to try and keep as many whitefly at bay as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, we used bigger mesh, just to protect from the birds. The whitefly have been terrible this year!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Such an interesting looking veg - and tasty too!

      Delete
  3. Your veg sounds delicious! I think I will try using some chestnuts. Fantastic photo of the robin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - hard to resist a robin photo! Chestnuts are such a delicious addition to dishes

      Delete
  4. I have (by chance) discovered how to keep the birds off your kohlrabi - grow swede. In neighbouring rows the pigeons go for the swede every time!

    So what was the first single you bought? I think I had managed to save up enough to buy a single just as Day Tripper was released... I wish it had been Twist and Shout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, I'll try to remember the swede-trick for next year!
      My first single was Tainted Love by Soft Cell :-) I think singles cost 75p then

      Delete
    2. Albums retailed at £2 I recall.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely robin and nice looking veg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, nice to still be eating home-grown, we've done better this year than previously I think

      Delete
  6. Such lovely autumnal colours inc. the purple kohlrabi. I love the robin photo esp. I am delaying my Christmas feeling until the 1st of December, having lived in Scotland - I feel I need to ack. St Andrews Day first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly been a beautiful Autumn here this year

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda