Wednesday 5 April 2017

How to Save a Life

Another year has passed. Nine years of real, enjoyable life as a result of another family's kindness. This is my annual post when my transplanted kidney is at the forefront of my mind.
A few of my daily dose

Kidney transplantation is a cheaper treatment for kidney failure than dialysis. Although most people have one more kidney than they need there are never enough kidneys for the people on the waiting list. France has recently introduced the opt-out donor system which means there is 'presumed consent' to donate. In the UK we still opt-in, by signing the register and carrying a donor card. In both systems family-members can over-ride the wishes of the deceased when the time comes. I'm not religious; I think that people should donate their body parts after death, but appreciate that the death-bed is a hard time to be making such a decision and I'm not entirely convinced that the Government should make the decision on behalf of the dead.
Make sure your family know your wishes
https://nhsbtdbe.blob.core.windows.net/umbraco-assets/1363/yes-i-donate-card.png
I'm grateful to the NHS and the fact that it still (just) has enough funding to cover the dialysis costs for everyone who needs it, unlike some other countries. Of course, our poor NHS needs assistance from charity more and more as less 'real time' money is put into the system that we're so proud of. I hope my donated kidney lasts longer than the rest of my body so that I won't need to return to dialysis in the future. Having said that, the improvements to dialysis systems are huge and hopefully they'll make it to the UK from the US - wearable dialysis machines? Really!
portable-dialysis
Thank you to all of you who have already chosen to save at least one life after you've moved on...
Here are The Fray singing along to this post:

3 comments:

  1. 9 years! What a life changing gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience. A new lesson for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know and am thankful to know you through blogging.
    Yes, this is truly a wonderful gift.
    The sun is shining upon us this weekend, enjoy your plot.

    ReplyDelete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda