Sunday 29 September 2024

Rhythm of the Rain

Corn on the cob

Mmm, is there anything tastier than freshly picked, cooked, buttered, peppered corn on the cob? These Lark variety really are delicious although germination was rather poor this year with only 10 from a whole packet of 25 seeds, but with 1 or 2 cobs per plant we have enough to enjoy for lunches.

Here are the Orca or Yin Yang beans, they’re so fabulous aren’t they! I need to check if any of the other plants have managed to produce any beans for storing. We had another frost this weekend but not too severe and I had netted the dwarf beans so they may continue to mature. The climbing tunnel beans are looking awful after far too much rain so sadly I don’t think I’ll be able to store any of them. Have I mentioned the rain?…
The rain continued to be torrential at the beginning of last week - cheered up a bit when I returned to work on Thursday 🙄. We did go to the allotment most days though, at least to pick a bit of veg and check how the plot was faring. 
We saw plenty of slugs and snails - I thought that snail above was rather pretty and this tiny specimen is an interesting one. I don’t recall seeing a conical one like this before and am still looking for an id.
I picked my two Festival squashes ahead of the frost - they’re quite large and I hope they’re ripe enough. They can stay in the polytunnel for a bit before I eat them. I fleeced the butternuts again as they haven’t had a very long season and the foliage is still looking reasonably healthy.
These tomatoes finally went red so we’re enjoying them in various meals. 
The pretty chard was used in a layered bake which fed me for two evenings: 1. Chard layer 2. Butternut & sage pesto with a few shallots 3. Slices of tomato 4. Quorn ‘ham’ layer, topped with the pesto 5. Thinly sliced Desiree potatoes on top. It was extremely tasty. Took about an hour to cook and, although there was a lot, the chard pretty much disappeared.
We’ve picked lots more tomatoes- ones that have any slight colour change, so hopefully they’ll ripen at home.
We’re pleased to see that the Halloween peppers have actually started going orange. They’re strange. They went from green to black then back to green before going orange!
So, although it’s been so wet we have had some lovely, chilly, blue sky mornings the clouds have soon built up - I thought this was a rather impressive take-over bid! I think the cloud won the day. We’re just going into yet another yellow weather warning for wind and rain overnight.
And, talking of our September weather, there was at least another 57mm of rain last week over 3 days! I mustn’t complain compared to how other towns have been so badly affected though. And a friend, who has recently got an allotment in Abingdon, reported floating squashes on their site 😩. So, that’s why I’ve selected this song by The Cascades - a golden oldie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda