Sunday 14 August 2022

Rinse and Repeat

What a sunny scene of home-sown flowers 😊. 

Flower bed
I must remember to sow lobelia into modules next year. It’ll make it far easier to pot them on. Zinnia seem to be the flower of the moment. And ours are appearing. They’re multi-coloured so some of the orange flowers are zinnia rather than marigolds. 
Zinnia

I’m seeing them everywhere, but look closer and they’re even more fab. No wonder the bees were enjoying them today.

Zinnia Macro

I’m really happy with the Love Lies Bleeding (Amaranthus Caudatus). There are 4 plants around our plots. This one on Plot7 is the most advanced and this lovely long tassel has started to turn the deeper red. Such an amazing plant from the tiniest of seeds. The birds will apparently enjoy those seeds in the Autumn and I may well try some myself, as explained here by the Laidback Gardener’s blog. I hope some will set seed to re-grow next year.

Love Lies Bleeding
The harvests are continuing and are not very varied, but a bit of creativity means that meals don’t need to be boring. That said, I am missing the kitchen at work where I used to leave all the surplus for my colleagues to take home. I must admit that we left a large patty pan and over-grown courgette on the spares shelf at the allotment and I was pleased to see that someone actually wanted them! I’m also very pleased that the chalk addition to the patty pan watering has largely resolved the blossom end rot problem.
Trug of veggies
This Rose Harissa dish with sticky rice was tasty though a bit too spicy for my taste (I got carried away with adding the harissa paste!)
Harissa flavoured veg
The only flavouring in this stuffing, with added pine nuts, was the garlic, shallots and garlic oil. We had this in stuffed courgettes, with some left over for lunch the next day.
Vegetable and pine nut stuffing
This weekend has been so sweltering that cold salads have been best for lunches. 
Cucumber, beetroot and vegetarian pastrami salad
The temperature has reached 33° in the shade but it's been lovely sitting under the sun umbrella with a deskfan run on a Jackery power station, which we’ve bought for heating the polytunnel in Winter really!
Making shade
The weather is what everyone is talking about. We even had to postpone our HAHA picnic; not due to rain, but because we’re in the amber extreme heat warning area.
It’s just beginning to cloud over - watch the clouds.
It’s still sweltering and some of us aren’t convinced that the rain/thunderstorms will hit Hungerford over the next few days, but the temperatures are forecast to drop to a more average 23°. Too late for our pumpkin, which has gone into emergency mode and decided to skip a couple of months.
Early Halloween pumpkin
The other squashes don’t seem to have had the same idea, so hopefully more than one fruit per plant, though the ‘tunnel’ hasn’t quite developed this year.
Squash tunnel
My Florence fennel has sadly all gone to seed. It’s just not been possible to keep it wet enough.
Florence fennel
At last the sweetcorn has developed tassels but no cobs are emerging yet, which seems rather slow. We’ll see…
Sweetcorn tassels
Summing up the last week: Work, water, harvest, deadhead, work, water, eat, sleep and repeat. And, I must say how much I like it 😊 Song title provided by Riton.


2 comments:

  1. I've always been a bit wary of buying harissa paste - is it very hot? Your plot looks greener than ours, I'm afraid our flowers have had to survive without any help. I forgot yo grow zinnias but maybe that's just as well. I'm not expecting the storms to ht us either. None of the predicted rain or thunder has reached us so far,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve not noticed the heat before. I certainly don’t like a lot of hot spice, but I really like the flavour. You have a lot more veg to water than us, so understand why you’d have to let something fend for itself. What a year!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda