Sunday 19 June 2022

Sweet Harmony

What a month June has been. In the last week we’ve had beautiful blue skies and high temperatures (~30° on Friday) but night-time temperatures still fell to 3.4°! And now we’ve finally had some welcome rain. What a great growing-month.

Teasels in the morning sun
So happy to have teasels on the wildlife plot

We had a couple of early morning visits to the plot in the week, to water and enjoy the sights and sounds of the waking allotment. So beautiful, but I only had an hour before returning home to start work 😔. A benefit of a morning visits is picking fresh veg to have for lunch. That scrummy salad included broad beans, radish and mangetout.

Freshly picked salad

Other days we’ve had lunchtime plot visits. Aah, working from home definitely has benefits, but I have my fifth(!) COVID vaccination at the end of month so maybe things will change… we’ll see.

Seedlings

Those are some of the flower seedlings that I potted on a couple of weeks ago including lobelia, zinnia and love lies bleeding. In fact I planted some of them out yesterday and their roots had grown well in 2 weeks. I’m concerned for the zinnia as slugs apparently love the seedlings 😖 Will discover later whether they survived their first rainy night in the wild…

Newly-planted flowerbed
Okay, I agree, it doesn’t look much at the moment but I’m hoping that will be a riot of colour in front of our bench quite soon.. If you want colour you have to visit the wildlife plot which is looking lovely.
HAHA Wildlife plot
I’m pleased to say that the squash tunnel is now mostly planted: 2 x Honeyboat, 2 x Festival, 2 x Sunshine  and, thanks to plot-neighbour Kate, 1 x Butternut and 1 x Spaghetti.
Squash Tunnel planted
I’ve left positions for the 2 x Winter Celebration squashes which have only just germinated, about 10 days after the other varieties. It seems that they may prefer the warmer temperatures.
Climbing beans
The climbing beans (French, borlotti, runners and one Gigantes) are, well, climbing and yesterday I planted out the three Yin Yang dwarf French beans that managed to germinate. The mangetout have been providing small harvests for me, if they make it home, and I’ve been enjoying the Chinese Dragon radish. They’re peppery and crisp and, as you can see, much better than ‘normal’ radish.
Radish
The ‘normal’ radish have all been resigned to the compost bin as they’ve gone to seed - like they inevitably do. I don’t think I’ll bother in future; I’ll stick with the Chinese varieties.
Radish and broad beans
Yesterday was a HAHA workday. We cleared the site of rubbish and surplus ‘junk’ followed by cake and a cuppa.
HAHA Work party
Which reminds me that I haven’t mentioned the HAHA stall at the jubilee picnic. I wasn’t interested in the party, but when I went along to help set-up I couldn’t resist staying to help with the stall. We made over £60 and gained three new members on the waiting list, so it was very worthwhile. Our site is currently full again, which is great.
HAHA Stall
And our plots are almost full too! We’ve planted 15 Lark sweetcorn, chard, a love lies bleeding and 2 sunflowers on the last quarter of Plot7.
Plot 7 is full
So it’s been a busy month so far. I hope we get outside in some sunshine today so I’d better get off my butt!
We’ve been watching TOTP from the 1990s on BBC4, which is why the song is provided by Beloved and it refers to the DELICIOUS pairing of rhubarb and strawberries - mmmmm, that smell ❤️

8 comments:

  1. I love t=rhubarb and strawberries too. It is a pity that slugs and snails love zinnias as much as we do. We're still waiting for some 'real' rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’ve had some good heavy showers, but sunny again now. Hooray!

      Delete
  2. Great post, dodgey song. But seriously, great teasel. We are not so far behind you north of the border harvesting broad beans and planting out squashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😀 it’s a lovely time for us growers

      Delete
  3. It's all looking and sounding good. I like the wildlife plot. Fingers crossed that the zinnia seedlings are okay. Happy plotting. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Zinnias are only slightly diminished so far 🤞

      Delete
  4. Love Lies Bleeding is a pretty fabulous name! Thanks for the new tune and the lovely garden walkabout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome 😊 Great name and a great looking plant too!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda