Monday 7 February 2022

Year of the Tiger

 This dwarf iris provided a spot of colour on an extremely wet and windy site yesterday afternoon.

Dwarf iris

It didn’t seem like a day for being outside but working for a few hours on the HAHA wildlife plot was actually very pleasant. We put a wigwam up for the birds to perch on. We noticed that the bullfinches seemed to like standing at an angle when we were watching them last year.

Perch for birds
There are lots of baby plants emerging so we wanted to remove the unwanted ones in order to make room for the ones we want - there must be hundreds of seeds in that soil! We tried to only pull grasses, docks and some of the other more intrusive weeds that we recognise. Jamie's cleared the bog garden. Some of the irises have spread well, but other plants we bought have disappeared without trace.
Wildlife Plot

These are a few of the wildflowers that we think we recognise from the plantlets... of course, I welcome correction if you know better.

Wildflowers on wildlife plot
Rosebay Willowherb and Jacobs Ladder

Foxgloves and Teasle (hopefully) or is it Bristly Ox Tongue?
Wildflowers
Cowslip at the top and (possibly) Hairy Hawkbit (left) and Corncockle (right)

As you can see, the cowslips are just flowering. I guess the plants should be divided at some point. The plot doesn't look much at the moment, but up close there are loads of nigella, feverfew and scarlet pimpernel seedlings as well as a few pockets of bulbs, which I think are grape hyacinth, so the bees will be happy when they flower in a few more weeks. In the meantime the blackbirds, magpies and robins were very happy with the bit of trowelling that we did.

Hungerford allotment blog

When we got home I made some soup using part of the last Crown Prince squash with leeks and celeriac from the plot. 

Curried squash and celeriac soup

I was disappointed with the other crown prince this year so I hoped this one would be a bit more tasty. I wasn't too convinced when I had a taster, hence the addition of curry powder! I think I'll use the Festival squash instead when I cook my next squash-based meal.

Lunar New Year Celebration

At the weekend we celebrated the Lunar New Year with a tasty Chinese veggie meal. It was delivered frozen a couple of weeks ago and it was fun opening all the parcels. I must say that the mushroom and veg buns are my favourite and I prefer the fried gyoza to the veggie dumplings. There was way too much for the two of us, so filling! We really should have only cooked half of it.

Ding Dong Dim Sum

The cardboard steamer wasn't quite as successful as we'd hoped, as the gyozas stuck but it was a fun parcel to receive. We need to take our excitement where we can these days 😏 Saying that, I have my fourth COVID-19 vaccination next weekend, so that's a trip out of Hungerford! - fingers crossed it provides me with a higher anti-body count than I'm currently seeing.

Hungerford Freemans Marsh

Saturday was a much nicer day, but we only had an hour on the plot in the sunshine, this was the view through the hedge to Freeman's Marsh.

Anyway, the predictable song title is provided by Myles Kennedy.

4 comments:

  1. An enjoyable post and good pictures. Lucky you seeing bullfinches, they're a bird I've never seen. I agree with your plant identifications.
    I didn't go to my plot at all over the weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty. I'm glad to hear you agree with my plant ids. The teasle/bristly ox tongue appears to be the most difficult to determine at this stage

      Delete
  2. What a shame about the Crown Prince it’s usually a tasty variety. I hope the neighbours to the wildlife garden are tolerant of the rosebay and teasel. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the CP was a disappointment.
      Luckily the wildlife plot borders the hedge and that's the direction that the wind direction tends to be on site, plus the nearby plotholders are happy to be close to that plot!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda