Monday 30 November 2020

Just a Little Bit Longer

We don't need to move to have a lovely new view from our window for a few weeks and the weather has been so dreary that it’s been a welcome spot of brightness even during the day.

Hmm, what else has happened over the last week... well, I had a day off and went to a shop... it was self-service so I didn’t really feel the COVID-shopping experience. I did get to cook the one and only spaghetti squash that we grew this year - it didn’t get looked after as much as it normally would, which I guess is why it only produced the one fruit, but it was quite a big one. I had two meals of it as Jamie doesn’t like it. It was so delicious with Spanish spicy beans and topped with cheese.

Halved and cooked cut-side down for 45 minutes at 180°, then filled and put back in the oven for 15 minutes was just right for keeping the ‘spaghetti’ firm. For the last 15minutes I pricked the skin to let the juices escape.

I also made some thick and tasty chilli, carrot and coriander soup. I’m missing our usual supply of home-grown carrots and squash, we’re so used to eating loads at this time of year, so I put a shopping order in with Jamie 😊 (He's looking forward to me getting the corona virus vaccine before him so that I have to do the shopping!)

We had a couple of hours on the allotment yesterday. It wasn’t foggy, like Saturday, but it was very dull. I cleared the bean poles away and put all the runner bean stalks into the compost bins. Look at that root! I’ve never seen them grown thick like that before and it had a really strong smell of runner beans.
We were watching the birds while we sat having a cup of choca-mocha in the polytunnel. 
The robin was enjoying finding grubs where I’d moved a large pot and these goldfinches were chirping away in the trees in the hedge.
And now a question for you growers. I saw this on Facebook: 
Is my globe artichoke actually a cardoon? I hope someone can tell me! Or maybe I just need to chop off some of those stems to taste them  - what do you think?
We’ve just watched the Hungerford Virtual lights switch on video. Fun to see so many plotholders who are involved in other town groups. Our HAHA Happy Christmas is around 14mins 20secs if you can’t sit through the lot 😁 And the beautiful Hungerford Christmas lights are on - yay, we can see a couple from the flat but I think we'll have to take a wander up the high street one evening next week.
So, Jackson Browne provides the song title with a little poetic licence, just a little bit longer in Lockdown#2, a little bit longer till Christmas and a little bit longer till the vaccine is available to us - hooray, lots to look forward to!

6 comments:

  1. The only way I can tell the difference between a cardoon and artichoke is by the flower. The flowers on artichokes are rounder, a bit plumper and often the scales are wrapped tighter round the bud and have fewer spikes. I would go ahead and just try the stems. The plants can't be that different to each other in taste - can they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, hmm I shall investigate and probably have a taste test...

      Delete
  2. If you had a cardoon you would know. We have two and they grow about 8’ high. When in flower they are even taller. If you search for cardoon on my blog I think you should come up with some photos. We”be never fancied earring any part of ours. We just grow them as ornamental bee fodder. Cardoon flowers are smaller than those of the globe artichoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Now I see those giants that you’ve grown! I think ours must be an artichoke then, much more compact - unless it goes crazy next year! Thankyou

      Delete
  3. I like spaghetti squash just like that and your soup also looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog, it was delicious I’ll try to grow more than one next year!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda