Wednesday 25 March 2020

Don't Stand so Close to me


Such a beautiful sunny day out there. But I received my text yesterday telling me to stay inside for 12 weeks - I'm 'shielding' myself from COVID-19 as I'm in the 'vulnerable' category due to my kidney transplant.
So far, I've not stepped foot outside the door for 4 days - the photo below is the last one I took oustide. It's the River Kennet which was still over-full. I'm able to work from home and having lots of video calls with work colleagues which keeps me occupied and Jamie's here with me so I'm not in total isolation.
The lovely sunny days at the moment are obviously making us wish we were on the allotment. We last visited 10 days ago and it was a sorry scene in the rain.
It's likely to stay that way for a while now. For the time-being the Government are saying that allotment sites can stay open, but I'm not convinced that will be the case for very long. So many people aren't heeding the 'STAY AT HOME' advice that it seems very likely that the 'go outside for some exercise' clause will be removed soon.
We're hoping that Jamie will get a chance to put the new polytunnel cover on the old frame before the tomatoes and pepper plants are delivered. Also hoping he'll get the potatoes planted which are still chitting in the hall. Also to pick the broad beans, leeks, onions and garlic that have been steadily growing since the Autumn. Oh dear :-( The grape hyacinths were a nice bright spot.
But mostly we hope that we, our friends, family and fellow plotholders manage to stay healthy during this disturbing time. Then we can, with luck, pick up where we left off in time for next year.
Not sure how much I'll have to add to this blog over the next 3 months or more, but there could be some unusual recipes based on what Jamie manages to buy from the shops(!) and, if he visits the plot, I'll get him to take some photos. 
 
Please look after yourself and others
And the advisory song for the blog title is provided by The Police, which I think is quite funny, but the advice isn't. Social distancing is surely the best solution.

8 comments:

  1. At ;east for the moment we can get to the allotment but as you say the stupidity of other may well soon put paid to that. We noticed a few police cars trawling the streets yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly haven't noticed a decline in traffic here :-(

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to see that you're one of the twelve weekers.
    I'm relieved that I can still go to my plot. I've seen very few people on the short walk there and back, and there has only been one or two other plot holders around when I've been there.
    Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky to be so close to your plot. Enjoy xx

      Delete
  3. It's a bit like living on an island? Look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remembered that you were perhaps one of the people in the vulnerable category and I am sorry that that means that you cannot go to your plot. My husband has underlying health conditions too, so its def. worrying and scary time. Please, i know it goes without saying but please do look after yourself x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen. It's a concern how people don't seem to recognise the threat.
      Best wishes to you and hubby, stay safe x

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda