Monday 3 February 2020

It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

This time last year my blog was full of lovely snow photos - no snow this year, mostly grey weather, although Saturday was nice enough to go for a long walk with my sister in the fields above her farm - we did nearly get blown away, but it was worth it for the beautiful views over West Berkshire.
So this February blogpost is very similar to my first-week-in-February posts each year. It's potato-buying time! There's the classic potatoes chitting in an egg box photo...
There's Jamie selecting some goodies from the vast selection at Charlton Park Garden Centre in Wantage.
And here are the varieties we selected. Estima, Foremost, Nicola and Kestrel. We don't buy many tubers nowadays as the plot normally turns into such a slug-fest. We'll be growing most of these in bags.
The Kestrels we actually bought in Wilko as we didn't think Charlton Park would sell them individually, but they did. We also bought these two varieties that we haven't tried before.
Look how expensive the Belle de Fontenay are for a bagful! We only bought two tiny seed potatoes so I hope it's prolific :-) And how could I resist the Purple Rain?
Apart from buying potatoes, we've also been looking through the catalogues over the last few weeks and have bought some seeds and ordered some plants. I've made sure I've got some Gigantes, Borlotto and Edamame seeds again as I've enjoyed having home-grown dried beans at home. I've bought some of these through Real Seeds again - an online company.
I've used the last of the stored mini pumpkins (just one spaghetti squash left now).
Cooking the pumpkin and onion with some curry powder, cumin, turmeric and garlic powder and then adding that little can of coconut cream before blitzing has made the most delicious smooth, spicy soup!
This weekend has been marred by the Brexit 'celebrations' so that's why a quite positive blogpost has been brought to you by the colour blue and the song is by Bob Dylan.

4 comments:

  1. We bought our seed potatoes too. We now need the plot to dry out a bit or we’ll be planting them in mud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that time of year :-)
      Our rain has been taken over by wind for a bit now...

      Delete
  2. I'll be growing Kestrel, along with Charlotte and Lady Christl potatoes. I've got all my seeds, flowers and vegetables, but I keep having another look through the catalogues. xx

    ReplyDelete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda