Sunday 4 October 2020

Run for Cover

It sure is wet out there! But we needed french beans.
We’ve had hours of heavy rain, I don't think it stopped at all yesterday. At least the pond is full again.

Actually it may have overflowed judging by the amount of water in the buckets!

And this is why we wanted to get the polytunnel up again, though we didn’t stay for long today. The large raised bed in the photo is where I planted the garlic, the only sign is a tiny shoot but it looked like a root rather than a growing tip! I’m sure it’ll correct itself when the rain stops.
Yesterday I made some cherry crumbles. I didn’t realise how annoying it would be to de-stone the cherries! They make a tasty dessert, but I think I’ll stick to stoneless fruit in future.

These are the beans I got from the gnarly runners I picked last week. So pretty when they’re first removed from their pods ...

They’re certainly not so attractive once cooked but I like the flavour. I had a tomato, ‘not chicken’ and bean casserole and marinated the rest in liquid smoke, tomato juice and balsamic vinegar for a tasty lunch.

I also filtered my Parma violet gin, mmm, a delicious addition to a wet October evening.

The song title is courtesy of The Killers - what a great band x

2 comments:

  1. I’m sure the polytunnel is a good place to garden when it’s wet. I always dreamed of a biome that would cover the whole of our plot like a mini Eden project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah, a biome! Wouldn’t that be lovely 😊

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda