Wednesday, 23 September 2026

Smash it Up

We have a new pond! It’s only small, but bigger than the bucket it’s replaced. It’s in front of our bench in the flower bed. I only finished it yesterday so it’s still a work in progress.

It took me two mornings to dig it out, exhausting in the hot weather. It probably would have been easier to lay a pond liner rather than making the hole to fit the preformed liner, but I managed it eventually.
We’ve transferred the large stone from the bucket which has brought the duckweed and probably a bit of other wildlife to the clean water. It needs to settle for a week or so before I add the surrounding stones and a few plants. It’s surprising how much soil came out of that hole, though my back and arms remember how many shovel-fuls <groan>.
That soil will be used to top up the raised beds and pots. We’ve had some rainfall but the soil was dry all the way to the bottom of the hole (about 45cm). The mornings are definitely feeling like Autumn but we’ve had a couple of hot days which has been lovely. A week ago we had rain, but not the storm that this sky appeared to be threatening.
The hedgerow knows it’s Autumn - it happens to be the Autumn Equinox today, so it’s downhill from here with the nights closing in - boo!
I’ve actually started a bit of clearing, but lots more to do. We’ve bought a few seeds to sow over Winter, including broad beans and carrots and I need to plant garlic.
The peppers have grown well in the polytunnel, clearly liked the hot weather. And that may be the last of the courgettes.
The Incredible sweetcorn were delicious but the last couple have succumbed to birds/mice/squirrels. Who could blame them?
I made a focaccia the other day. I didn’t do as much decoration as I’ve tried previously because the mixture was so bubbly it was difficult to work with, as you can see.
After 5 hours of raising and folding it could be cooked and it turned out delicious. I’ve frozen half and the other half we had with home-made courgette & tarragon soup.
And I picked the biggest pepper a couple of days ago. There are a few still needing to redden-up and then I’ll be able to clear that raised bed in the polytunnel to sow carrots and salad. I’m sorry that we don’t have any brassica or other Winter crops growing but maybe we’ll be better next year…

That giant pepper stuffed with veggie mince and tomato was joined by a new favourite meal accompaniment, smashed potatoes.

And that offered the opportunity to use The Damned song title - one of my favourite bands back in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda