Friday 2 March 2018

White Winter Hymnal

I think this year we'll have to follow the astronomical calendar, rather than the meteorological one; 1st March definitely did not feel like the first day of Spring!
We've had very fine snow falling for much of the last two days and we're not used to snow, so we still love it!
We walked through quiet, snowy Hungerford and of course arrived at the allotment site.
All the plots are looking quite similar under the white blanket! Even the empty covered plots look nice.
I hope our garlic and shallots are ok under there. I'm particularly concerned about the french garlic, but at least there's time to buy more if necessary. Our broad beans in the greenhouse are a no-show, so we'll need to re-sow them. Well, -9° is just too low for germination I expect.
The snow is meant to continue till tomorrow and then turn to icy rain - bleah, that's much worse!
So that was a fun way to spend a Friday afternoon off work. And tonight we're having a curry which will include some fragrant fresh bay leaves courtesy of Vishal at work. I'm also freezing some, as they're more flavoursome than dried leaves. I look forward to adding them to carrot soup in the next few days.
This was a meal we had the other evening with Quorn mince, carrots and leeks - basically a cottage pie topped with filo pastry rather than potato because I think it looks so nice.
So, it's still Winter and this pretty title song is provided by the Fleet Foxes.

10 comments:

  1. Oooh that's a scary greenhouse golem! Definitely a ghost in that house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the ghost of our broad beans!!

      Delete
  2. The expression on the little stone man’s face sums things up nicely. I froze coriander and basil last year and it was really tasty. I will freeze a lot more this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have bought frozen herbs previously so I will endeavour to freeze more of our own this year. But Vishal is going to get me a rooted cutting of bay, so that will be a nice addition to the plot with a year-round supply hopefully.

      Delete
  3. Lovely Snow! Good luck with the bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just had carrot and leek soup seasoned with oak smoked olive oil, turmeric, paprika and bayleaf - delicious!

      Delete
  4. Loads of snow over there! It looks nice. And I really like the pie and the filo pastry topping idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely. Didn't stay around long (I meant the snow, but it's true of the pie too!)

      Delete
  5. I admire you got out. We were stuck in Wales for 3 days - the snow was just over 3 foot and then we had a some bad luck with out boiler and roof :( Regardless, it did look very magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 foot of snow - wow! Boiler and roof problems would certainly take the shine off it :-(

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda