Saturday 8 April 2017

Go!

The shelves in the greenhouse are filling up. Today I sowed Duchess mixed aster and French Honeycomb marigolds in seed trays. And a pot of Oarsman leeks are there too, along with a drainpipe sown with mangetout - I found the drainpipe on a vacant plot - it's meant to make it easier to transplant the seedlings without damaging the roots.
The beetroot, salad and chard are all germinating, so the temperature must be just right for them - it was just right for me too today - hot sunshine and blue skies - delightful!
The broad beans have left the greenhouse and are now in Plot 3 - one  row looks very healthy, the other row is not so good so I've added cloches to help them through their early days... They may need replacing with a new bean popped into the ground in a couple of weeks time, we'll see...
The onions are beginning to sprout so we're keeping them watered while they develop. Today I sowed some salad onions (Apache and White Lisbon) and some Pompei silverskin-type onions into a small raised bed.

It's been very dry over the last week although there have been some frosty mornings and this morning we had a thick fog before the sun burned it off.
Aah, it felt like a Summer's day. It was nice doing lots of smaller jobs with very little digging, that may be easier if we get some rain in the week - but not when I'm on leave I hope!
Moby provides the title track...




4 comments:

  1. We tried the drainpipe method for peas but we obviously haven't the knack as it wasn't as easy as it looked when people demonstrated it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-oh! We'll have to see how I get on...

      Delete
    2. I bet it will work just fine for you, it seems to be for everyone else!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda